Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Super Fan Passes Away

This blog entry is going to be completley different then any other previous entries.

For those of you that were familiar with the Southern Iowa Speedway, or any races in the midwest for that matter, you may have run across a gentleman by the name of Gary Storey. Storey, a "Super Fan" of racing, lived in Oskaloosa when I met him some ten to fifteen years ago. Quite often I would travel to race tracks and he would be the first person I see in the parking lot when I drove in.

Gary unfortunately lost his battle with cancer late last Thursday night, September 23rd. Gary had lived in a house with his brother prior to moving into a hospice care facility in Oskaloosa. Gary grew up near Albia before moving to Knoxville and eventually Oskaloosa. Gary Storey was 59.

Gary was a diehard Super Fan. He spent many years traveling up and down the highways throughout the country, searching for another race to attend while dodging the weather. Story often times would sleep in the back of his pickup truck to save money. He had quite a setup under that topper, including an air mattress and covers. It was nothing for him to drive from one state to another in a matter of a day. Case in point, I recall an example where I saw Gary down in Bolivar, Missouri towards the end of the racing season. It was a Saturday night show. Gary invited me to stick around and split a hotel room in order to attend a race the next day in Mayetta, Kansas. I declined his offer, but I found out later that he did indeed make the trip the next day.


There are several memories similar to that in which I can share. But it doesn't provide the same meaning if you didn't know the man. Many would chuckle or laugh under their breath when they heard Gary laugh from a distance. His voice carried quite well, so one could hear his laugh from a good distance. Knowing that Gary was willing to drive just about anywhere, I would wonder to myself if he was going to be at the same show I was traveling to. More often then not, he was there.

I will admit that I didn't know much about Gary outside of the racing community. I do recall him saying that he used to work at Hy-Vee. Arthritis began to slow him down several years ago, but he wouldn't let that stop him completely.


Gary - I want you to know that I'm deeply saddened by your passing. You were a true diehard race fan, one who watched anything from sprint cars to four-cylinders. I'm sure you're in a better place now, and that the suffering has stopped. You will truly be missed, but never forgotten!

To view Gary's obituary, click here.

- Racing may be a hobby, but it's DEFINITELY addictive!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was no doubt the super fan of racing. Nice writeup Kevin

    ReplyDelete