Thursday, October 7, 2010

The "Other" World 100

Last weekend on my way to Knoxville, I realized that I had not made it to a new track yet this year. I got spoiled over the last couple of years of making it to several new tracks, but that opportunity hadn't come up yet this season. After reading Jeff Broeg's latest blog Backstretch I decided I wanted to try my hand at a new track. Jeff mentioned that Peoria Speedway in Illinois was running Wednesday night as a makeup date. So I took it upon myself to call up a good racing buddy of mine, Bob Litton, and ask if I could meet up with him. He said sure, so I met him and his wife Rita at a truck stop along I-80 and off we went. A couple hours later we pulled in to the track parking lot.

We went up to the grandstands to lay out our blankets and such, so it gave me a little time to look around. I immediately compared the track itself to East Moline as it was a tight 1/4 track with concrete walls surrounding it. The flagman and the scorers are located in the infield, something that I've only seen at a few tracks. The seating was wood bleachers, but they were very sturdy and were spread throughout the frontstretch. The lighting was a sore spot in my opinion as they only had one light on each pole. Granted there were several poles, but we noticed at least one light was burned out. Hot laps were run in a quick manner, and while waiting for time to do the opening ceremonies I noticed the pit steward in the staging area outside turn two was watering down the area with a garden hose. I can honestly say I've never seen that before, although I have seen infields watered down with a hose.

On to the racing... the first feature run was a late model feature. I'm having difficulties remembering if it was the crate late models or the open late models, but I would assume crates. I wasn't able to write down driver names and was unfamiliar with everybody, so I apologize for the following sketchy details. Eighteen cars took the green flag with pole sitter Donny Walden rocketing to the lead. The T2 car of Todd Bennett swung to the inside of #38 for the third spot a few laps in while the leaders caught the end of the field by lap four. A caution came out on lap five as I heard the announcer say there was fifteen laps remaining. Walden quickly solidified his lead and would go on to take the win. Mike Mullvain would finish second, Todd Bennett was third, #32 was fourth, and #21 rounded out the top five. Again I'd like to apologize for not catching their names.

It was then time for the "other" World 100, a 100-lap feature race for the UMP modifieds. Drivers were quickly introduced to the crowd, so I was at least able to get the drivers' last names this time around. Mark Johnson took control from his pole starting position while Ray Bollinger ducked low on the #D3 of Dillon for the second spot. The first of several cautions waved on lap three, and when racing resumed Gary Cook Jr passed Dillon for third. The top four would begin to separate from the pack until the caution flag waved again on lap ten. On that restart Cook Jr powered his way to the lead on the cushion and remained out front through a series of yellow flags. Bollinger would scoot by Mark Johnson for the runner up spot on the lap twelve restart. Bollinger and Cook Jr would battle for the top spot as they broke away from the field. The caution flag waved on lap fifty for the halfway point as drivers were allowed to make a pitstop to change tires, add fuel, and anything else they wanted. Nine caution flags were flown in the first fifty laps while only fourteen of the original twenty-two cars remained on the track.

Following the pitstop, the drivers seemed to get a better rhythm going as only one caution waved in the final fifty laps. That came on lap fifty-nine, and this time a single-file restart was in order. Bollinger took advantage as he powered his machine to the cushion and drove by Cook Jr for the lead. Cook Jr would later show some smoke and appeared to be on his way to losing a motor, but the smoke disappeared a few short laps later. Cook Jr would be challenged by Mark Johnson for that runner up spot while Bollinger pulled away to a full half-lap advantage. Johnson would take control of the number two position but would not have anything for Ray Bollinger. Bollinger went on to take the win as only five cars were on the lead lap at the end. Johnson would finish second, Cook Jr was third, Mike Chasteen Jr finished fourth, and Nathan Balensiefen completed the top five.

After watching the modifieds and knowing there were two more races left, the Litton's and I opted to hit the road early. We left the track around 8:38 and pulled back in to Iowa City around 11pm. That meant I still had another good two hour drive home yet. I got home sometime close to 2am after stopping in Grinnell and Marshalltown to look for a battery for my sister (with no luck, of course). That meant I was away from home for 15 hours as I had left at 11am to meet up with them. The things we'll do for a race!! Thanks to Jeff Broeg for mentioning this race in one of his previous blogs, or I wouldn't have known about it.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, there are several races going on this weekend. I have decided that I'll be heading to Oskaloosa for both nights of their Fall Challenge. Be sure to get out and support a track near you as the weather looks to be beautiful this weekend!!

- Racing may be a hobby, but it's DEFINITELY addictive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment