Sunday, March 6, 2011

Let's Get It On!!

Finally, the calendar has turned to March. March is perhaps my most anticipated month of the year. That is when my two biggest passions meet up, as college basketball hits their peak time of the year and normally the start of the dirt track race season begins to take the green flag.

This weekend was supposed to be my first race of the year, but officials from the Junction Motor Speedway in McCool Junction, Nebraska and the United States Modified Touring Series opted to postpone the two-day event until June due to inclement weather forecasted. So, that just means another week of anticipation for next week. I plan on attending the USMTS race in Humboldt, Kansas next Saturday. I would like to go Friday to South Coffeyville, Oklahoma to watch them as well, but I'm not going to take time off work for that. Instead, I'll save that time off for another bigger race in April that's a little closer (at least in comparison).

And speaking of that bigger race, its hard to believe that particular race is now one month away. That race is the World Modified Dirt Track Championships held at the Deer Creek Speedway near Spring Valley, Minnesota. The winner's check boasts a $20,000 check, and at last count the pre-entries had reached 138. It's definitely one of the most anticipated events of the season for me, and I hope to make it all four nights.

A little closer to home, many drivers are looking forward to the first weekend of April as their first races of the year. Marshalltown, Boone, and Vinton will host a "tripleheader frostbuster" in which the modified winners will get paid $1,000 for their efforts. In northern Iowa, they will jump right in to the points season as season openers are scheduled at Fairmont (MN) Raceway, Algona Raceway, and the I-35 Speedway in Mason City. Weather permitting, this promises to be the first 3-day race weekend of the year. With all those choices, I'm going to elect to attend a different show on that Saturday, April 2. I'm planning on making the trek to the "other" I-35 Speedway in Winston, Missouri for a USMTS race. I've only been to that track one other time, and that was some ten years ago.

Off the heels of a big upset yesterday, the Iowa Hawkeye men's basketball team has been vastly improving with every game played. While the Hawks will miss the post-season this year, I believe they have a bright future in store for them with the young players and a full season under new coach Fran McCaffery. The college hoops season is winding down as most major conference tournaments will begin either Wednesday or Thursday as they march into Selection Sunday.

So as one season is winding down, the race season is just getting started. The NASCAR season has seen two races run already, with the third being run as I type this. The dirt track season has begun down south and in the southwest. It won't be long and the dirt will be flying in the upper Midwest. For a schedule of upcoming special events, check out the calendar page at www.positivelyracing.com. Another website that offers monthly calendars is my own website, http://tapfanstours.freehosting.net and click on the appropriate link on the left-hand side.

- Racing may be a hobby, but it's DEFINITELY addictive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment